Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Ride to Republic and boy was it hot.

Well, spent the fourth of July weekend on the road. Went on a group ride with the HOG group to Republic, WA. Over 300 miles in one day and once we reached Eastern Washington the temperatures began to rise. This was my first long trip on the new trike and she performed beyond my expectations. Fast, powerful, comfortable and more. Everything Harley promised. I kept my spot at the back of a group of 20+ bikes, for those of you who have ridden in the back like that it's a bit like being part of a slinky, group is tight, loose, tight. The speeds varied from 60 or so to 80 plus to keep the group a reasonable length. At one point out in the flats I passed a truck and glanced down at the speedometer, I was doing nearly 90mph. I was hoping for a road trip that would test the trikes limits and I think I very nearly did. Lots of twisty, turns and I didn't get tired or feel like I was fighting the trike through the corners, and we were taking them at the upper edge of sensible for the situation. I contemplated why those who have ridden a two wheeler for years sometimes struggle with cornering, well cornering on a trike is very different from a bike and I suspect they waste time trying to ride like it's a bike.
Loads of fun and I am looking forward to going straight back over to Eastern Washington this Sunday on a lunch ride. By the way, pulling passes, no problem, one of the passes on the way over is 4800 feet, no issues there. All in all my trike is definitely proving she is also a touring bike with a vengeance.

No comments: